Friday, March 6, 2009

One Year Post Transplant

Many of you have asked about the blog and requested an update. I had no idea that people were still checking the blog! Thank you so much for your continued interest in my recovery and in my family.

I am feeling great...so much better than a year ago! It's hard to believe what has happened over the past year-and-a-half. I am a believer in miracles and am happy to be alive. I just had my one year post transplant review with my doctor. She reviewed all of the testing info they have gathered over the past month. Great news: there is no leukemia and my bone marrow is 100% fully engrafted. It is producing everything as it should. However, my body is still attacking the new red blood cells that my bone marrow produces. I receive blood transfusions every 2 weeks. The doctors are considering a few different options to combat this. As I get new information, I'll update this blog.

We enjoyed Christmas together as a family and spent New Year's in Las Vegas with Ken's family. Ken & I were completely shocked when my doctors approved a trip to Hawaii in January. We went with friends, without kids, and had a relaxing vacation.

Thank you for all of the love and support you have given to me and my family...the heartfelt notes and cards, phonecalls, dinners, carpools, childcare, and especially your prayers. Your friendship is a treasured gift. Thank you also to Ken's sisters for upkeeping this blog for so long.

16 comments:

Erin said...

Joy! Yeah, great news. I have been checking the blog religiously and and thrilled to hear you are feeling better. We send our love to you and your darling family.
XOXO, Matt & Erin Haynie

Stephanie said...

Joy,

I have an RSS feed on your blog and have just been hoping that silence was golden..which it appears to be. I'm so relieved and happy that you are doing so well!! By the way, I think the short dark hair suits you!

Lots of love,

Steph

Rebecca said...

Joy, you have a beautiful family. I am so glad to hear things are going well with your health. I too believe in Miracles. I hope to see you at our reunion this summer.

Ginger said...

Wow! It's great to have your words about your progress.

FEELING GOOD makes all the difference - this I know.

You are a trooper with those bi-monthly transfusions.

I adore your kids. They were lots of fun at the Woolley family cookie decorating party.

Love, Aunt Ginger

Heather said...

Ken, Joy, and children, We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. It was so fun to see you Joy at the Auction. You are always amazing. Thanks for updating all of us!!! We love You!! We will continue to cheer you on! XOXOXOX love . Petersons

Lee-Ann said...

finally. I have been checking carefully for an update. We have kept you in our prayers and your name in the temple. I am Lee-Ann Luke. My sister Louise Evenson is in your Ward. We live in the neighborhood and I drive by your house often. Did you make it to Disneyland?

Anonymous said...

Oh Joy!!! What wonderful news! I have been checking this site hoping that all was well and am so thrilled to hear that things are looking up for you and your family! We love you and are hoping for all good things for you!
Love you,
Erin Wilsted

Naomi said...

Åh vad jag är glad för dig och din familj!!!!!
stor kram på dig!!!
Naomi

Tricia said...

Joy,
Yes, I've been checking this blog often for updates. I only wish I lived close enough to help out with babysitting or something (we are in Florida). I am so happy to hear that things are going so well. I love the updated family picture. It is amazing how much your kids have grown during this time. I've thought of you often this past year of sleepless nights (my baby is 10 months old now and is finally sleeping through the night). I have wondered how you've had the energy and patience to be the kind of Mom that I know you really are. You are an amazing person. Love you!

April Cobb said...

Such good news. I AM, however, sorry that you have to get those darn transfusions. It can't be fun. I think I would pass out cold with each one. Anyway, you are a living answer to all of our prayers. I am so grateful. XOXO

Anonymous said...

Joy, great news!! Thank you so much for the update. You and your family remain in our prayers for continued good progress and health. I look forward to seeing you at karate soon.

Leah said...

YES!!! I DO check your blog longing for more updates on your health. I am so happy to hear this good news Joy! You are in my thoughts often. How are the twins doing? They are Avery's age I believe. Into everyting? We had another baby in October, her name is Aspen. Thank you so much for the update. We love you!

Dan and Jen Sampson said...

Joy, Miracles do happen- It is so good to hear how well you are doing. We think about you often and you are in our hearts and prayers. You are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Joy thats great news! I check your blog at least once a month to see how you are doing. Sorry I have not wrote something sooner but know my thought and prayers have been there.

Claudine

Unknown said...

Joy, this is great news! We were thinking about you this past week and we are so happy that you are doing well. Miracles are real..you are great testimony to that. The new family picture is great. We still have our places in UT, so we'll have to stop by and visit with you sometime. God Bless you and your family!!!

The Larsens (Heather and Curtis)

Vicki said...

I just checked your blog for the first time in a while and it brought tears to my eyes to see the beautiful photo of your precious family! I can't put into words how thankful I am for your wonderful news, it truly is a miracle and one much greatly deserved!!! I feel blessed to know you and your family, Joy!!!