Monday, June 29, 2009

Spleenless and ready for Summer

Where does the time go? I try to wait for interesting/exciting news to update this blog...we are in the "wait and see" holding pattern again. I had my spleen removed in May in hopes of destroying the antibodies that fight my new red blood cells. The great news is that I didn't need a transfusion for a month after the surgery. It's too soon to see a pattern in transfusions, yet, but it definitely reduced the amount of transfusions that I've needed. I feel great and am able to take on a lot more than I have for the past year. I think my body is just used to functioning on half the normal amount of blood. I do look forward to normal amounts of blood and energy...SOON!

My doctors okayed a trip in April to the Florida Keys with Ken's family. Ken's parents were asked to preside over the Mormon Church in part of Russia, Kazakstan and Belarus. They will be living in Moscow for the next three years. Of course we will miss them and we will not see them very often. It was fun to all be together. A week after returning home from Florida, we flew to Disneyland with my parents. We loved spending time with our family! We're in the thick of birthdays right now. Olivia just turned 11, Joshua got baptized, Grace turns 6 in two weeks, and Eleanor & Noah turn 3 a few days later. We are in the epic stage of no diapers! The landfill is definitely grateful, I'm sure. It's summer...life is great! As always, thank you for your love, support, and prayers.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi... just happen to cross your site... I see that you also love Disney... me too...

Im planning to go to Tokyo or Hong Kong Disney this Christmas. Hoho and I found some stuffs from Hong Kong Disneyland here as well:
disneycloth.cwahi.net

I will definitely take tones of photos there!!!

Stephanie said...

Joy,

"Spleenless and ready for summer" as a description made me laugh. I'm glad being spleenless seems to be helping your blood stabalize a bit. Hope it's a permanent fix!

We were down in FL at the beginning of may up in the Panhandle and really it's just paradise over there isn't it. Glad you got to go enjoy time with your family.

Love you tons,

Steph

Mom said...

Oh Joy! This is great news! You are a trooper! May the transfusions be less and less necessary!

Unknown said...

You may be spleenless, but you didn't lose your sense of humor! This has been a long, long, long road for you, Joy. What a curveball, right in the thick of raising a crop of children. Not easy. Hats off to you, for every step you've taken in this journey.

With love and admiration,
Aunt Ginger

Tricia said...

You came to Florida and we came to Utah! We would have loved to see you. . . but I'm sure you understand how it is with having a big extended family. I didn't even try to get together with friends. How were the keys? I was able to look at some old Juice Pub pictures while I was in Utah and It helped me to recall all the fun we had. That is SO awesome that your family is diaper-less! Have you been that way at all since Olivia was born?? Or has it been 11 years? Love you guys!

Jill Lewis said...

Joy,
I think of you often and continue to pray for you. I admire the way you've faced these big challenges. I too hope that there will be fewer transfusions needed. Thank you for being a powerful example of courage and strength.
Much Love,
Jill

Misty said...

I used to check your blog regularly but had forgotten to recently until this morning. Glad to see you are doing well and are travelling as much as always. :) Great new family picture, too. You guys look just great.

Unknown said...

Nice post. thanks for the shared with us. site web responsive design