Thursday, January 3, 2008

Back in the Saddle Again . . .


Joy started off the new year by preparing for her new self. She is currently in her third of six days of TBI (total body irradiation treatment). This entails her being treated on each side for about a 1/2 hour. Her doctors place a lead shield over her lungs to protect them while the rest of her body is being treated. She also receives special medication for her skin because the radiation is so hard on it. However, in true Joy fashion, her skin still looks beautiful!

After the six days of radiation, she will receive three days of intensive chemotherapy that should kill off all of the rest of her bone marrow so that she will be ready for her transplant. She is feeling pretty good, was able to watch an episode of "Lost" and even felt well enough to complain about the hospital food. Yay for Joy!

Joy's family would like to invite any family members and friends who are willing to fast on her behalf this Sunday. For those unfamiliar with fasting, this entails abstaining from food and water for two meals and accompanying this sacrifice with prayers on her behalf. Ken and Joy are both so grateful for all of the prayers people have said for Joy!

Above is a picture of Joy's time at home for Christmas. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joy,

A quick note to let you know that we're thinking of you and praying for you. John and I will be fasting for you on Sunday.

All our love,

Steph

boyscoutmom said...

I am not surprised that Joy's skin still looks good after the attempts to fry it through radiation. When I saw Joy with NO HAIR, I left amazed that Joy could look so good bald. Only Joy could pull that off so well. Really, who looks good after all Joy has been through--oh Joy. Good luck Joy. I hope the next few days and the transplant go perfectly. My family will gladly join in the fast for you on Sunday. We continue to pray for you and yours daily. Hopefully the end of torture is finally in sight. Love, Karen Cox

Otter said...

Hi Joy,
Our thoughts and prayers are with you this week and this Sunday.
Love,
Rick, Sarah, and Jonas

Anonymous said...

Joy,

We have been thinking about you more recently, knowing that you were going to be starting these important treatments around this time. I am so glad that there is another fast that we can participate in. I am not a great "faster" but during the last family fast for you, a few months back, I had a wonderful experience and it really increased my desire to fast faithfully. This morning I woke up and was thinking about the fast tomorrow and what I should fast for. Then Margaret's email came and I feel so excited to make this a special fast. We love you and know that you will weather this storm like a champion!

Love,

Arian (& Jill & Kenneth)

Anonymous said...

Hi Joy,

I have been thinking so much about you and your family. By the way..it's Rachal Milford (the one with the twins from Josh's karate). I was so heartsick to hear you are sick but reading this website I am so proud of how strong you are and amazed at your progress. What an amazing family you have as well. You are all in our thoughts and prayers. I will be checking this site regularly to see how you are doing.
God Bless!
Rachal Milford